The North Jersey Chamber of Commerce came to be through a series of mergers. The organization began as the Clifton Chamber of Commerce, incorporated on February 24, 1927 and headquartered in Clifton at 1187 Main Avenue.
In 1980, the Clifton Chamber of Commerce merged with the Passaic Area Chamber of Commerce (aka the Passaic County Chamber of Commerce) and as a result, the organization was renamed to the Clifton-Passaic Regional Chamber of Commerce to encompass both territories. This move also allowed the then Clifton Chamber of Commerce to absorb the history of the Passaic Area Chamber, whose history dates back to 1913.
In 1986, the Clifton-Passaic Area Chamber of Commerce moved its headquarters from its Main Avenue office to its newly purchased office condo located at the Notchview Office Park, 1033 Rt. 46 East, Suite A-103 in Clifton. This 2000 square foot office became the central meeting site for vital economic development meetings for the City of Clifton and Passaic and home to Board of Director Meetings, numerous committee meetings, and various networking events.
In 1991, the Clifton-Passaic Regional Chamber of Commerce merged with the Passaic Valley Chamber of Commerce by a unanimous vote from the “P.V. Chamber,” which represented Totowa, Little Falls, and Woodland Park (then West Paterson). This move prompted another name change for the organization to the North Jersey Regional Chamber of Commerce in order to include the vast area the chamber now covered, including surrounding cities in towns in neighboring counties.
In 2013, the North Jersey Regional Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors voted to update the current name of the organization to simply the North Jersey Chamber of Commerce or NJCC. This move allowed the organization, which represents the most densely populated area in all of the United States, to welcome businesses from all over the region, including many businesses from Western, Central, and Southern NJ.
Due to the membership expansion of the NJCC, the organization decided to centralize its location to better serve its members, especially with so many coming from the western region of NJ. In December 2019, the chamber moved its headquarters to its current location of 27 Horseneck Road, 2nd Floor Fairfield, NJ 07004.
- The first chamber of commerce was founded in 1599 in Marseille, France and the world’s oldest English-speaking chamber of commerce, in New York City, dates from 1768.
- The oldest known existing chamber in the English-speaking world with continuous records, the Glasgow Chamber of Commerce, was founded in 1783.